Max Naftol ’19

Arlene Cole was the soul of the music department, and the single warmest presence on Brown’s campus. I had the pleasure of taking the lab part of 550/560 with her, and later the advanced musicianship 1010/1011 classes. Arlene was always patient and generous with students of all ability levels, and made her class a safe space for personal growth.

I’ll remember going to her office for exams and trying to play/sing in four clefs, realize figured bass, clap/stomp/sing polyrhythmic exercises, and engage in other esoteric musical pursuits. It was always clear that these endeavors were for the love of music itself and exploring the bounds of one’s capabilities, and the joy Arlene felt in fostering that curiosity in her students was palpable.

Arlene was one of my favorite professors I had at Brown, and it always made me smile to see her around Orwig. After graduating, when together with other former Brown music students, we always seem to end up reminiscing fondly about her and her classes. Now that she has passed, may her memory continue to bring warm thoughts and smiles to all those who had the honor to know her.

Max Naftol, Class of 2019