MBQR Program | Brown University School of Public Health
Mindfulness-Based Queer Resilience
Mindfulness-Based Queer Resilience (MBQR) is a 10-week, Internet-delivered mindfulness intervention program designed to promote mental & sexual health for LGBTQ+ people.
Currently, we have a clinical trial for a version of MBQR tailored specifically for young gay men, bi men, queer men & non-binary people who were assigned male at birth.
Enrollment for Summer 2023 has concluded. Please contact us to learn more about future opportunities.
Study PI: Shufang Sun, PhD
IRB Protocol Number: 2002002648
Brown University School of Public Health
Funded by the National Institute for Health
What does participation in the research study involve?
The study involves completing several online research surveys & other study components over the course of 6 to 12 months.
In addition to completing the online assessments, you and others enrolled into the study will be randomly selected* to one of two groups:
Take the Mindfulness-Based Queer Resilience (MBQR) class right away, participating in live 2.5 hour groups over Zoom that meets once a week for 10 weeks
Go through a self-paced online health education course & after completing the 6-month follow-up assessment, be given the opportunity to take MBQR-hybrid, which offers a combination of asynchronous learning & weekly live/Zoom support
* This study is a randomized controlled trial (RCT). To decide which of the two programs you will complete, we will use a method of chance — much like flipping a coin. Eligible participants will be told which of the two programs were randomly assigned to you after completing their baseline assessment.
What is MBQR?
- MBQR is tailored specifically for LGBTQ+ people & facilitated by queer teachers
- The mindfulness class is typically offered at $500 in the community but is offered freely to you if eligible for the study
- Receive up to $340 by completing the study assessments
- No previous experience with mindfulness is required
Hear from MQBR alumni!
Claude, Ben, Ty, and Joe share their takeaways from participating in the first ever MBQR cohort in Fall 2022.
Or text us!
Now Enrolling Participants:
The Trans-Led Care Study (TLC)
Mindfulness-Based Queer Resilience (MBQR)
Project STARS (Supporting Trans Affirmation, Relationships & Sex)