Gregory (Grishka) Barboy

photo of Gergory Barboy
Gregory (Grishka) Barboy

Concentration(s):

• Music
  • Computer Science

Music Capstone Project:

• In Competence

I originally set out to explore the theme of competence, and my mixed feelings about my own competence as I am reaching the end of my time as an undergraduate student. I wrote and recorded two songs that explore this theme from two different angles, and take the listener on a journey from one state of mind to another. I also set an additional constraint for myself to avoid the use of the dominant V-I resolution (Although in some points I come quite close due to some chord substitutions I chose). This was done mainly to explore sounds and harmonies outside of my comfort zone. On the technical side of things, I got to continue exploring production and recording techniques with my project. Particularly interesting was working with my roommates who are featured in the songs on vocals, sax and drums. This aspect of the project ended up being the most meaningful part of the experience. What initially sparked my love and interest in music was the collaborative aspect of it, and its ability to bring people together. It was really rewarding to continue exploring this aspect of music especially during a time when that aspect of music making suffers the most.

Listen to “191 Purple” by Gregory Barboy

Listen to “Cactus” by Gregory Barboy

[next senior > Kyle Brier]

[back to Index of seniors]