Ryan Rose

photo of Ryan Rose
Ryan Rose

Concentration(s):

• Music
  • Economics

Music Capstone Project:

• Seasons EP

When I first started my journey through music at Brown with Computers and Music freshman year, I had no idea where it was going to take me. Now, years later, I am graduating with a degree I could not be prouder of. This EP draws on the knowledge and techniques I have learned over the last few years and reflects both my journey in production and my journey at Brown.

Seasons is a collaboration with Arius Thomas and Alexa D’Ambrosio. The EP reflects the passage of life and time, as well as, in my case, my time at Brown. Spring represents birth and new beginnings. It focuses on the idea of innocence being forever preserved. Summer, by Arius Thomas, focuses on the trials and anxieties one faces as they reach maturity. It focuses on the heat of summer and the relief one yearns for. Fall is an apt response to the intensity of summer. It is a season torn between relief and further reflection necessary as one realizes their journey is coming to an end. Finally, Winter (featuring the amazingly talented Butch Rovan on saxophone) is a fittingly melancholy, yet triumphant outro from this world.

This EP is a culmination of all the production and songwriting techniques I have learned over the past four years. It is also the culmination of mentorship from some truly amazing people. I present this here with special thanks to Jim Moses, who gave me the tools to make my music and completely shaped the way I think about production; Amber Vistein, who I will forever be grateful for in so many ways, including giving me the confidence to make the music I really want to make; and Butch Rovan who unlocked my singing and songwriting potential, and helped me finish my journey at Brown in the strongest way possible. I would also like to thank Mark Seto, Mark Steinbach, Arlene Cole, Linda Jiorle-Nagy, Joshua Tucker, and everyone else who made this experience just so special. To the professors, my fellow classmates, and everyone in the music department who has helped me on this journey, thank you.

Listen to Ryan Rose’s “Seasons”

Listen to more of Ryan’s music at https://soundcloud.com/alonesomeone.

[Safiya Rajwani < previous senior]

[next senior > Belu-Olisa Sarkissian]

[back to Index of seniors]