When registering for courses Brown students must indicate whether they are taking a course for a grade (ABC/NC) or satisfactory/no credit (S/NC). Some courses are designated by their instructors as mandatory S/NC. Students may change their grade option up until 2 weeks after the add/drop date online via Banner or in the Registrar’s Office. No grade option changes are allowed after this date.
- ABC = Course is taken on a grade basis
- S = Course is satisfactorily completed
- NC = No Certificate (Course is not satisfactorily completed)
Instructors are required to enter grades into Banner for all students (including pre-college students enrolled in the course for credit) taking a course on an ABC/NC or S/NC basis.
Entering Grades in Banner
- Login to Banner with your username and password at http://selfservice.brown.edu.
- Choose the Faculty and Advisors link, then Final Grades
- Select the current summer term (Do not select “Summer 2019 (SPS)”)
- Select the appropriate GRADABLE CRN (the Primary Meeting, not a conference or lab)
- Select a grade (ABC… or S or NC) from the drop down menu of Student names
- Click on the SUBMIT button to record grades for processing
- To grade another class, click the CRN SELECTION LINK at the bottom of the screen
NOTE: Grading in Banner for Summer Session courses must be completed 2 weeks after the term ends.
Contact the Registrar’s Office with any questions or concerns about entering grades in Banner (SPS staff does not have access to the grading module in Banner.)
Notes on Grading in Banner
- Only individuals listed in Banner as instructors of a course can enter grades for that course.
- After 30 minutes, Banner will log out of the grading session. Non-submitted grades will be lost.
- If a grade space is left blank, no data is rolled to academic history. The instructor can post a grade at a later time even if other students in the same class have been graded and rolled to the student’s academic history.
- Grades may be submitted all at once or piecemeal, although grading whole sections at once is recommended to avoid leaving students ungraded
- Be careful to grade the “Primary Meeting” only. Other sections labeled “lab” or “conference” are not gradable.
- Once a Y appears in the ROLLED column, the grade is considered final. Any changes for that grade must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office in writing.
Before the end of each course, students are emailed a Course Evaluation Form so they may provide quantitative and qualitative feedback. Instructors are advised to remind and encourage their students to fill out the Course Evaluation Form to ensure a high completion rate.
Instructors and administrators may access the student feedback system, including reports, by logging into Canvas or to https://brown.evaluationkit.com using their Brown credentials. The Evaluation tool provides some limited capacity for course-specific questions. For further information, visit the Student Course Feedback page. Instructors cannot read feedback until grades are submitted; feedback forms are not connected to any identifying student information, making submissions anonymous.
All instructors receive a Faculty Evaluation Form at the completion of their course(s). We seek your views on your experience teaching for us in order to improve our support and to strengthen our programs.