Barbara Kohnen Adriance

Unlike many of the wonderful people who have posted here, I knew Arlene only briefly. My high school kids were visiting colleges in summer 2017, and we stopped at Brown. Nothing happening on campus, so we wandered into the music department and looked at the flyers and brochures outside the office. Lo and behold, Arlene sweeps in, very very late for her hair appointment, but curious about us. We knew little about Brown or the music program but within seconds we were infected by her enthusiasm. She must have been very late to her hair appointment because she gave us a full tour of the department and the recital hall! Fast forward, my son William Adriance (’21) got to be her TA for music theory and my daughter Madeleine (’24), while not a music major, is a theater major. In my short interaction (plus a couple of others at Parents Weekends), I got in an instant her warmth, positivity, openness, and willingness to throw her plans out the window for others. I can’t tell you how special that was for me. I will miss her too.

Barbara Kohnen Adriance
Parent ’21, ’24