Reid Merzbacher

photo of Reid Merzbacher
Reid Merzbacher

Concentration(s):

• Music History/Theory/Composition | Computer Science

Music Award(s):

• Coolidge Premium ’20
  • Buxtehude Premium ’19
  • Ron Nelson Prize ’18
  • Margery MacColl Award ’17

Honors in Music Thesis:

• 90 West

For my thesis I composed a 15-minute piece for 11 players (fl., ob., cl., sax., trp., trmb., perc., pno., vln., vc., cb.). I wrote the piece with a specific player in mind for each part, and planned to perform it on April 10. The piece followed a somewhat abnormal structure (it could be called AA’BB’CC’), with each fast and loud section (A, B, C) balanced by a slow and static section (A’, B’, C’). The piece incorporated numerous techniques that I studied and used during my time at Brown, including aleatory, micropolyphony, and polyphony that was heavily inspired by species counterpoint. The title “90 West” (stylized as “90W”) refers to the exit near my house in Cambridge that I take to get to Brown. It also refers to another exit that I sometimes take when I’m coming home from college that has my favorite view of Boston: you drive up a steep ramp and then the whole city unfolds in front of you. Essentially, this piece is an ode to my first 22 years of life, and my time spent growing up in Cambridge and at Brown.

[Max Luebbers < previous senior]

[next senior > Catherine Nguyen]

[back to Index of seniors]