Karya Sezener

photo of Karya Sezener
Karya Sezener

Concentration(s):

• Music
  • Theatre Arts & Performance Studies

Music Award(s):

• Ron Nelson Prize – 2021
  • Margery MacColl Award – 2019

Music Capstone Project:

• Music and Dramatic Meaning

My project is a portfolio of film, TV, and theatre scores. I have chosen scenes from different existing movies and TV shows and have re-scored them. Each scene I chose has a specific purpose in exploring how music contributes to the established mood and meaning. In addition, simultaneously with this capstone I did another capstone for my other concentration TAPS for which I wrote a play. Two of the pieces of music in my project are pieces of music I composed for that play. Overall, I explored the relationship between music and dramatic meaning in different forms of media. I discovered that music is a fundamental tool to excavate what is the truly the essence of a scene and did my best to capture the essences of the scenes I have chosen with my music.

Scenes from Karya Sezener’s “Music and Dramatic Meaning”

Listen to Karya Sezener’s music for theatre:

Personal Statement:

Karya Sezener is a composer and sound designer from Istanbul, Turkey. Her specialty is in media composition, particularly short films. She has worked on a number of theatre and film projects throughout her time at Brown. In addition to composing, she is also a singer-songwriter and playwright.

[Nicholas Scott < previous senior]

[next senior > Elias Solis]

[back to Index of seniors]