We conduct experimental and computational modeling research to study the role of solid mechanics in applications ranging from biomedical engineering to large-scale engineering structures. We are currently working on biomedical applications of hydrogels and shape memory polymers, mechanics of cell motility, polymer failure under extreme environment, and improved flaw detection and failure modeling for pipelines.
Stimuli-responsive Soft Materials
Material Deformation and Failure Response
- November, 2020 | Congratulations Shailen Sampath for being selected to receive the Barret Hazeltine Grant Award for Engineering & Technology Ventures to support ongoing research with shape memory materials. Great work, Shailen!
- August, 2020 | Dr. Srivastava will debut his newly developed course ENGN 2911R: Analytical Modeling of Biomechanical and Biomedical Systems this fall! Learn more about its focus on infectious disease modeling and COVID-19 applications …
- June, 2020 | Congratulations Luis Marquez ’20 for receiving Sc.M. in Fluid and Thermal Sciences from Brown’s School of Engineering! Luis’s quirkiness, work ethic, and rock climbing ability have left us with many happy memories. We will miss you and we wish you the best!
- June, 2020 | Congratulations Savan Santoki ’20 for receiving Sc.M. in Fluid and Thermal Sciences from Brown’s School of Engineering! Savan’s meticulousness, passion, and curiosity is greatly appreciated and we wish you the best!
- June, 2020 | Congratulations Yifei Bai ’20 for receiving Sc.M. in Mechanics of Solids from Brown’s School of Engineering! You’re hard work and humor will be dearly missed and we wish you the best!
- March, 2020 | Congratulations to William Back for receiving 2020 Karen T. Romer Undergraduate Research Award to conduct summer research with the Srivastava Research Lab on formulating a preliminary, probabilistic model for the detection of crack defects.
- March, 2020 | Congratulations to Roberto Castro for receiving 2020 Karen T. Romer Undergraduate Research Award to conduct summer research with the Srivastava Research Lab on developing polyethylene glycol microgels for the analysis of cancer cell-matrix interactions.
- October, 2019 | Dr. Srivastava is awarded a federal research grant award from the U.S. Department of Transportation for an ongoing project regarding The Improvement Non-Destructive Detection and Failure Prediction for Safer Pipelines
- September, 2019 | Our paper titled “A thermo-mechanically coupled finite strain model for phase-transitioning austenitic steels in ambient to cryogenic temperature range” is published in Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids
- September, 2019 | Congratulations to our very own Shailen Sampath for being selected as a recipient for the Research @ Brown grant to conduct research on improving the cure for malaria
- September, 2019 | Welcome, Zahra! Zahra Ahmed will be joining our research group as a Ph.D. student; she has completed her B.S. and M.S. in Biomedical Engineering from Brown University
- June, 2019 | Dr. Srivastava receives a research grant from Rhode Island State Commerce Corporation and Gliaview to study biopolymers
- June, 2019 | Dr. Srivastava Leads A Seminar At Warren Alpert Medical School, Brown University
- May, 2019 | Congratulations to Srivastava Lab postdoc Dr. Mrityunjay Kothari for receiving the Outstanding Ph.D. Thesis Award from Brown University’s School of Engineering for his work with the Srivastava Research Lab
- March, 2019 | Congratulations to Isaac Nathoo for receiving 2019 Karen T. Romer Undergraduate Research Award to conduct summer research on novel shape memory polymer based drug eluting stents in the Srivastava Lab
- March, 2019 | Congratulations to Norbesida Bagabila for receiving 2019 Karen T. Romer Undergraduate Research Award to conduct summer research on hydrogel based drug delivery systems in the Srivastava Lab
- June, 2019 | Dr. Srivastava was invited to speak at a seminar at the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay