In light of Brown’s transition to online learning, the U-FLi Center will be sharing narratives from the Class of 2020. We aim to affirm and honor graduating students’ time at Brown. Read about Jocelyn Cervantes (she/hers) below:

What does it mean to you to be U-FLi?

Being U-FLi to me means creating my own path to success. It means questioning why anyone has ever doubted me. Many times its proving statistics wrong. However, the most important part of being U-FLi to me is bringing joy and pride back to the people who built me. My family and community have instilled values in me that have allowed me to break through systemic obstacles and truly succeed in places that were not made for me. I do it for them so being able to share what I’ve learned along with my experiences is the most important part of being U-FLi for me.

What communities at Brown have been influential in making it feel like a home?

The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers is a space where I identified with so many people and felt a sense of home. We gathered over traditional Latinx food and discussed resumes, elevator pitches, internships, and terrible professors. Nerdy, but honestly a space that needs to grow since the engineering department is not very diverse.

Advice you’d give your first-year self?

I’d tell myself that sophomore year engineering classes were going to kick my butt; however, during long nights of studying for those horrifying classes I would build the most amazing group of friends that I now call my family. I would tell myself that the next couple of years were going to be filled with the best life experiences. I’d say that I could keep hating Brown because even as a senior I still hate it, but it served its purpose in my life and for that I’m grateful.

Who are you away from Brown/outside of the student identity? 

Away from Brown I spend most of my time exploring and meeting new people. When I’m not a student I skate, surf, dance, and eat every type of food there is to try in LA. Some of my favorite things to do while I’m home in LA is finding new “hidden” hikes or viewpoints to take my friends to over some drinks.