In light of Brown’s transition to online learning, the U-FLi Center will be sharing narratives from the Class of 2020. We aim to affirm and honor graduating students’ time at Brown. Read about Alejandra Gonzalez (they/them) below:

What does it mean to you to be U-FLi?

Being U-Fli means to me the strength, power, and wisdom of being able to achieve your own goals and pave your own path. I always remind myself that if my parents made the difficult decision to migrate to the U.S., I have inherited their strength and I am able to do anything and able to persevere despite the unfamiliar/uncertain terrain. We come from a long line of resilient people.

What communities at Brown have been influential in making it feel like a home?

I have really found home in the LGBTQ+ Center and especially Zeta Delta Xi. I absolutely love Zete and my fellow fraternity brothers as they have welcomed me with open arms since day one and have been great supporters in my goals and endeavors. Furthermore, they have played an important role in my journey of self-love and body positivity.

Advice you’d give your first-year self?

Favorite memory at Brown?

I wish I could remind my first-year self that I should not be as much as a worrier and that I have incredible abilities that I am still uncovering. I also would remind them that they absolutely belong here and are worthy of their accomplishments (career/personal/spiritual) and more. Despite my dyslexia/ADHD and trauma from school-to-prison pipeline, I was still able to push myself forward, remain strong, and graduate from this institution, which many people even my high school educators believed I would not be able to do. My new found confidence and security in myself is actually among my most important accomplishments.

Who are you away from Brown/outside of the student identity? 

When I am asked about my identity outside of Brown, I always say I am a proud tía of two beautiful, caring, intelligent children, my Valery and Jade. I am that tía with the great stories or that is always doing arts & crafts. I guess overall, I am a storyteller and artist. I am always sewing dresses or knitting/crocheting clothing. My favorite medium of art is filmmaking and in 2018 I directed/wrote my first LGBTQ+ short film “Venus Retrograde” , which premiered at an event with the Outfest Film festival. I love film because I love storytelling and also if used properly it could be a very accessible tool for educational purposes.