In light of Brown’s transition to online learning, the U-FLi Center will be sharing narratives from the Class of 2020. We aim to affirm and honor graduating students’ time at Brown. Read about Beatriz Aleman (she/hers) below:

What does it mean to you to be U-FLi?

To me being U-Fli has given me the gift of becoming an extremely resourceful and shameless person. I have learned how to ask for help and seek help in ways that few other people have had to do. Instead of seeing it as a burden I like see it as an opportunity of success that I will have for the rest of my life.

What communities at Brown have been influential in making it feel like a home?

Planning for the Latinx Ivy League Conference has put me in a community of Latinx leaders from all over campus.

Advice you’d give your first-year self?

A friend makes you feel comfortable and loved. If you don’t feel like this, it’s not your fault and you don’t have to change anything about yourself! Maybe the chemistry isn’t there or they are just a plain bad friend! Find people who you can feel yourself with and who help bring the best out of you. You don’t have to be anything more than you are today.