In light of Brown’s transition to online learning, the U-FLi Center will be sharing narratives from the Class of 2020. We aim to affirm and honor graduating students’ time at Brown. Read about Patience Adegboyega (she/hers) below:

What does it mean to you to be U-FLi?
Being U-FLI to me means facing challenges that aren’t the norm in this elite setting. It means finding the strength in my experiences and identities to succeed, not just for me, but for those that came before me that made my place here possible, for those that supported and continue to support me, and for those that will come after me. It also means having a community of incredible people to lean on and celebrate with.

What communities at Brown have been influential in making it feel like a home?
The Black community, in the form of different organizations and spaces have made Brown feel like home. The people I’ve met in these spaces have affirmed me in many ways, especially my right to be at Brown.

Advice you’d give your first-year self?
You do not have the same background and knowledge as the majority of the people you’ll encounter. Don’t measure yourself by their yardstick. Also, whatever question you have is valuable and important. Ask them to your professors, counselors, mentors, and fellow classmates.

Favorite memory at Brown?
Singing with my acapella group before everyone had to leave campus due to COVID-19 and watching different communities come together to experience the last acapella performance of the semester.

Who are you away from Brown/outside of the student identity?
I am a daughter and an older sister. I argue often to prove a point or to defend someone else. I enjoy arts and craft like activities like crocheting and making a bullet journal.