In light of Brown’s transition to online learning, the U-FLi Center will be sharing narratives from the Class of 2020. We aim to affirm and honor graduating students’ time at Brown. Read about Stefany Garcia (she/hers) below:

What does it mean to you to be U-FLi?

To me, being U-Fli means that there is a fundamental disconnect between the resources the University assumes I had/have and the resources I actually have. It means I can’t rely on the University to meet me where I’m at and must work to bridge that disconnect. It means finding people to do that work with me and building community.

What communities at Brown have been influential in making it feel like a home?

The U-FLi community, Education Studies department, the queer community, the senior Latinx women friend group! 

Advice you’d give your first-year self?

Go to the BCSC more. If it’s a mostly-white space, maybe reconsider your interest in joining. Take a step back and be intentional about seeking out friends who can truly understand you. Remember to call your mom! 

Favorite memory at Brown?

Spring Weekend 2019. When Mitski walked on that stage and my girlfriend and I lost our minds! 

Who are you away from Brown/outside of the student identity? 

I’m a runner, a daughter, a coffee lover, a queer fiction lover, a queer woman, a lover of cats and a lover of personality tests