These resources can assist with selecting colors for your maps that complement each other and make your maps standout:
- A discussion of how to use color to emphasize on what is important on your maps
- Cartography Masters (these folks have great twitter feeds as well):
- A flash talk with a few quick pointers
- 6 Easy Ways to Improve Your Maps
- Take Your Map to the Next Cartographic Level – Part 1 and Part 2
- A checklist –
- This video by ESRI (Links to an external site) discusses Best Practices for Map Design. It is long, but well worth the time.
- This video (Links to an external site.) is a “lightening talk” so it is short; talks about four design principles for maps. Good things to keep in mind.
Poster Design (posters are different from maps!)
- A resource for improving poster presentations – http://betterposters.blogspot.com/
- A very short outline of things to consider – Effective Scientific Posters.pdf