The original Safety Toolbox has been updated to accompany the “First, Do No Harm” Meditation Safety Trainings“. The full 20-hour First Do No Harm Training can be accessed here. An abbreviated 3-hour version with available CE credits can be found here. The toolbox contains documents, protocols and best practice guidelines from the UMASS Center for Mindfulness, Bangor and Oxford Mindfulness Centers, and other mindfulness researchers.
THE CURRENT TOOLBOX CONTAINS:
19 folders and 73 files. Click here for a detailed list of the 2.13.19 Toolbox contents (new additions in red ink)
- MBI Teacher Competencies
- Scientific Literacy
- Mindfulness + Secularity: Legal and Ethical Issues
- Mindfulness and Buddhism- Important Books
- Screening tools
- Examples of Suicidality Safety Plans
- Safety Monitoring Guidelines
- Meditation-related Challenges
- Publications from the Varieties of Contemplative Experience (VCE) Study
- Other Scientific articles on meditation-related difficulties, side-effects and harms
- Monitoring Tools
- Trauma-informed mindfulness
- Trauma Basics
- Systematic Trauma
ONLINE COURSE ABOUT ADVERSE EFFECTS OF MINDFULNESS MEDITATIONWITH DR. BRITTON
This online webinar is a 3-hour version of the “First, Do No Harm” training that was offered at the UMASS CFM for MBSR/CT teachers in 2018. This course provides an overview of the research in meditation-related adverse effects, neurobiological mechanisms, and a series of concrete methods for minimizing and managing risks and negative outcomes.
Part 1 reviews different types of meditation-related adverse effects with emphasis on the ones most likely to occur in mindfulness-based programs outside of retreat settings.
Part 2 provides an overview of mechanisms for how different practices can lead to undesirable outcomes.
Part 3 will review appropriate mitigation strategies, including screening, monitoring, trauma-informed modifications, and additional resources for meditators and providers.
- The webinar is available on-demand until summer 2021
- Tuition: $85-110 USD. (Prices on website are in Canadian dollars: 112-148 CAD)
- CE/CME credits available
- Student discount ($65 USD/85 CAD) – enter code “Britton2020” at checkout
- 25% discount to regular tuition – enter code”Britton25″ at checkout\
The full 20-hour First Do No Harm Meditation Safety Training can be accessed here.
- Cheetah House – Help and resources for meditation-related problems
- Mental Health First Aid
- Meditating in Safety
HELP SUPPORT MEDITATION SAFETY RESOURCES and RESEARCH
SAFETY TOOLBOX 2.13.19MEDITATION SAFETY TOOLBOX – English version 2.13.19
[Note: To download the toolbox, click the Meditation Safety Toolbox link above, and a zip file will automatically download onto your computer]