Request for Applications: Learning Health System (LHS) Scholars
The LHS Scholar Program pairs rehabilitation researchers with health system stakeholders to establish meaningful partnerships and prepare for research on a priority topic identified by the health system. Such preparatory work may include learning about the health system, current processes for rehabilitation care, and the data infrastructure available to support LHS research. LeaRRn faculty mentor these partnerships, helping the scholar and health system formulate a plan to engage in LHS research. When the year-long scholarship phase ends, the scholar and health system will be well-positioned to advance the work, for example by seeking pilot study funding through LeaRRn or other mechanisms.
Application Due: February 15th, 2021
The LHS Scholar application process occurs in two steps. First, submission of an application and second, the invitation of selected applicants to participate in a scholarly presentation and interview.
The LHS Scholar program is open to rehabilitation researchers with doctoral level or equivalent training who are at any stage of their career. Applicants from diverse backgrounds or interested in health disparities are particularly encouraged to apply: we encourage candidates to avoid self-selecting out of the pool and welcome applicants from any academic location or setting.
- Submit a curriculum vitae and a 1-2 page application (1” margins, Arial 11 font) that includes the following:
- Discussion of applicant’s background, skills and research interests and how they relate to this opportunity.
- The promise and potential of the applicant to develop a meaningful partnership with a health system partner and take the work to the next level (e.g., pilot funding).
- Submit a CV and the application to LeaRRnNetwork@gmail.com with the subject heading: “LHS Scholar application”
- Applications will be reviewed with our health system partners for feasibility.
- Selected applicants will be contacted by the LeaRRn team to discuss the identification and fit of a LeaRRn faculty mentor and next steps.
Selected applicants will be contacted by March 29, 2021.
Interview and Scholarly Presentation
- Selected applicants will work with the LeaRRn team and the health system to discuss the interview process and schedule a time for the presentation and interview.
- Applicants will be reviewed based on:
- Their scholarly presentation and its alignment with the health systems’ priority topic area(s)
- Their preliminary plan for the year-long Scholar opportunity, and potential of the candidate to conduct future health system research
- Availability of LeaRRn mentorship and training resources to address any gaps in the Scholar’s knowledge or projected plan
- Confirmed commitment of both the identified mentor and the health systems partner
Health System Partners
Our health system partners offer diverse environments and opportunities for LHS Scholars across the rehabilitation care continuum (from prevention to acute care to post-acute care to outpatient and community-based care), the lifespan (from pediatric to geriatric populations) and diagnoses/conditions of individuals in need of rehabilitation. Click here to find out more about our health system partners and click here for partner specific priorities.
Funding and Time Frame
LHS Scholars will receive $15,000 (inclusive of indirect funds) to conduct the preparatory work needed to develop a research question and funding proposal. Funds can be spent over a 12-month period and support travel to the healthcare system, stakeholder engagement activities, preliminary data extraction and analysis, systematic literature review, didactic activities for the Scholar’s skills development, and salary support if necessary. The Scholar’s home institution is expected to provide most of their salary support during this time.
Notification of award: no later than June 1st, 2021
Successful applicants will need to establish a subcontract with the University of Pittsburgh before funding begins.
Earliest start date: June 1, 2021
Please submit all inquires and materials to:
Kristin Ressel via email at: LeaRRnNetwork@gmail.com