Do I need to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for the Brown SR-EIP?

Yes, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to participate in the Brown SR-EIP.

How do I apply to the Brown SR-EIP?

Complete the Leadership Alliance SR-EIP application and meet the requirements established by the consortium. For more information, see How to Apply.

Do Brown University undergraduates participate in the Brown SR-EIP?

Many Brown University undergraduates participate in Leadership Alliance summer research programs each year, but all go to a campus other than Brown. Students who wish to be at Brown for the summer should investigate fellowships offered through UTRA (Undergraduate Teaching and Research Awards), the CareerLab, the Swearer Center for Public Service, and others. We encourage Brown students to visit us in our office at 133 Waterman Street and discuss Leadership Alliance summer opportunities. For an appointment, contact Samantha Andersen.

Does participation in the Brown SR-EIP earn college credit?

The Brown SR-EIP does not award college credit. Participants are involved full-time in their research training.

Can I enroll in a class at Brown University while I am a research intern?

No, the SR-EIP is a full-time commitment and students work the same hours as all other faculty and staff.

Where do the Brown SR-EIP participants live?

All participants live in the same dormitory. Each suite has four private bedrooms, a kitchen, a common area, and one bathroom. The dormitory is on a quiet street, but not far from the center of campus.

Will I be able to walk to my research site?

All Brown SR-EIP students are provided with campus housing, and many can easily walk to their research site. Other students rely on the Brown Shuttle to transport them to their research site off-campus at one of the affiliated hospitals or research centers. Even these locations are within reasonable walking distance. Students placed at the Veterans Administration Medical Center in Providence do take a city bus and bus passes are provided.

Do I need a car in Providence?

Some students prefer to have their car with them but must then pay a student parking fee. Most students live here comfortably without a car for the summer.

Do I have a choice of my mentor?

For the most part, participants in the Brown SR-EIP are assigned a mentor based on the student’s academic background and statement of research goals. Occasionally, a department will offer a student the option of working with one out of several different investigators. Students are never accepted into the Brown SR-EIP without a guarantee of a mentor.

Who do I contact if I have questions about the Brown SR-EIP?

Please contact the summer program coordinator, Samantha Andersen.